Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Eugene...again...

There was a quote at the end of Eugene Peterson's book, "Under the Unpredictable Plant" that I've been thinking about a lot lately. It's too good to keep to myself. Hopefully, it will resonate in you...challenge you to become who you know God wants you to become. Here you go:

"Sometimes I need a teacher, someone to explain the scriptures, to clarify the Christian belief in some circumstance or relationship. But mostly I do not: I need to become what I already know." (Peterson, Eugene. Under the Unpredictable Plant: An Exploration in Vocational Holiness. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1992.)

1 comment:

Mark Bradshaw said...

Indeed. I came to this realization not long ago, after having been a Christian for 25 years. Just how long does it take to become mature? How long to become what you know, as Eugene said? How long does it take to become a "self-feeder", instead of being fed by others? I think standard church is guilty of never asking people to move past the consumption.